How To Claim Your Super When Leaving Australia

457-visa worker, claiming superannuation

If you’re on a temporary working visa in Australia and wish to return home, you may be wondering whether you can claim superannuation earned during your employment here. This payment is called a Departing Australian Superannuation Payment (DASP), which you can claim if you meet the required criteria. 

Chasing down your super payments can be a bit of a hassle, but we’ve broken down the steps here: read on to learn more about eligibility requirements, ways of applying, and other important details!


Eligibility criteria for claiming a DASP

Before making a claim, make sure you have read and meet the following criteria (Source: Australian Taxation Office):

  • you entered Australia on a temporary visa listed under the Migration Act 1958 (excluding subclasses 405 and 410)
  • your visa has ceased to be in effect
  • you have departed Australia
  • you are not an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident of Australia.


Applying for your DASP

There are two ways to apply for a DASP:


Paper applications to your super fund

In order to submit a paper application, you need to get a certificate of immigration status from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). You will be charged a fee to obtain this certificate, which will be sent directly to your super fund. Next, you need to fill out and submit the Application for Departing Australia Superannuation form (as well as supporting documents) to your super fund as well. Ensure that you make copies of this form and supporting documents for your own records.


Online through the ATO

Submitting an online application is free! Your application will be both verified and confirmed electronically with the DIBP; which is done to confirm your immigration and visa status.

Although you can only make your DASP claim after you have left Australia, it is recommended you make an early start on your online application so that you can gather all relevant supporting documents/information. Additionally, it makes it easier for the ATO to certify such information while you are still in Australia. Make sure to keep track of the information you enter in your application – you can save it to resume later and then submit after you have left Australia.


How long will it take for my application to be processed?

Expect a wait of around 28 days from the time you submit your application. Processing time can take longer if you don’t have all relevant information/documents ready, or if you have multiple super fund accounts.


Is there a time limit on claiming my super?

There is no time limit, however if 6 months have passed since you departed Australia, your super earnings will automatically be transferred to the ATO. If this occurs, then your need to lodge your claim directly with the ATO.


Need assistance on claiming your superannuation? Give us a call on 1800 803 017!

More Accounting

Site by AcctWeb